Long awaited Service Pack 3 for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 is available from last week. This Service Pack 3 (build number 10.50.600.34) include whole previously published updates for Service Pack 2 and up to Cumulative Update 13. And it is the last update for this platform, Microsoft will not release any Cumulative Update for Service Pack 3.
You cand download this update form Microsoft Download Centre and you can get two files (for x86 and x64 platforms):
- ENU\SQLServer2008R2SP3-KB2979597-x64-ENU.exe | 358.4 MB
- ENU\SQLServer2008R2SP3-KB2979597-x86-ENU.exe | 247.2 MB
This package can be used for upgrading following SQL Server 2008 R2 editions:
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Computing Edition
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition and Developer Edition
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Web Edition
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Workgroup Edition
In the same moment MIcrosoft released Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP3 Feature Pack. It’s very important stand-alone packages which provide additional value of SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2. Here is the link for Knowledge Base Article and list of packages:
- Microsoft® Connector 1.1 for SAP BW for SQL Server® 2008 R2
- Microsoft® System CLR Types for SQL Server® 2008 R2
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Remote Blob Store
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Native Client
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Command Line Utilities
- Microsoft® SQL Server® Service Broker External Activator for SQL Server® 2008 R2 The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Broker External
- Microsoft® Windows PowerShell Extensions for SQL Server® 2008 R2
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Shared Management Objects
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 ADOMD.NET
- Microsoft® Analysis Services OLE DB Provider for Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Analysis Management Objects
and full list of downloadable files:
Please read more information on all of those products and updates under linked addresses:
Understanding Incremental Servicing Model for SQL Server
More important notes from producer:
We are not releasing SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Service Pack 3 refresh.
This Service Pack will not be available on Microsoft Update. To facilitate the deployment on your side you could either use custom rules in SCCM or local publishing in WSUS as explained here.
Slipstream technology is not available for SQL Server 2008 R2. To slipstream a SQL Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 3 please see this post .
October 16th 2014: We have discovered an issue with Report Builder 3.0 that ships with SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3.You will find on the SQL Server Release Services blog a public message sharing details and mitigations.