Very, very long awaited final Service Pack4 for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 is already available. This Service Pack 4 (build number 10.50.600.34) include whole previously published updates for Service Pack 3 and up to Cumulative Update 17 (sic!). And it is the last update for this platform, Microsoft will not release any Cumulative Update for Service Pack 4. So it is the same story like in my previous post: this is the last update for Microsoft SQL Server 2008.
You cand download this update form Microsoft Download Centre and you can get two files (for x86 and x64 platforms):
- ENU\SQLServer2008SP4-KB2979596-x64-ENU.exe | 378.4 MB
- ENU\SQLServer2008SP4-KB2979596-x86-ENU.exe | 310.9 MB
This package can be used for upgrading following SQL Server 2008 R2 editions:
- SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition
- SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition
- SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition
- SQL Server 2008 Evaluation Edition
- SQL Server 2008 Workgroup Edition
In the same moment MIcrosoft released Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 SP4 Feature Pack. It’s very important stand-alone packages which provide additional value of SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2. Here is the link for Knowledge Base Article and list of packages:
- Microsoft ADOMD.NET
- Microsoft Analysis Management Objects
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services 10.0 OLE DB Provider
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Command Line Utilities
- Microsoft Connector 1.0 for SAP BI
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects
- Microsoft SQL Server Remote Blob Store
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client
- Microsoft Windows PowerShell Extensions for SQL Server
- Microsoft SQL Service Broker External Activator
- Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types
and full list of downloadable files:
Please read more information on all of those products and updates under linked addresses:
Understanding Incremental Servicing Model for SQL Server
More important notes from producer:
We are not releasing SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 4 refresh.
We are not releasing IA64 packages of SQL Server 2008 Service Pack4. For IA64 it is recommended to apply the latest update we delivered on SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3.
This Service Pack will not be available on Microsoft Update. To facilitate the deployment on your side you could either use custom rules in SCCM or local publishing in WSUS as explained here.
Slipstream technology is not available for SQL Server 2008. To slipstream a SQL Server 2008 with Service Pack 4 please see post.